Sunday, May 29, 2005

May 29, 2005...Trip to Dallas

I got out of the studio this past week and made a trip to Dallas to deliver paintings. I, also, visited with my daughter at her new place in Uptown. We went down to the design district to see what the new spaces for several galleries looked like now that they moved. Craighead Green Gallery http://www.craigheadgreen.com has always been one of my favorites. They certainly have a lot more space to show their artists' work now. I'll have to go back and vist some of the others when I have more time.

The Nasher Sculpture Center http://www.nashersculpturecenter.org was on the "to do list" this time as I'd never been there since they opened downtown across from the Dallas Museum of Art. It is absolutely top notch. Thursdays are currently their "free admission" nights and they had an exhibit of David Smith sculpture and the drawings he used to plan his sculpture........as well as all the wonderful permanent collection.

The outdoor garden is just awesome.....I was intrigued by the James Turrell "box" installed at the end of the garden "Tending" (Blue), It is one of the "skyspaces" he calls them. Rooms or installations open to the sky through rectangular or rounded apertures in the roof.. You can just enter through the "light effects" and then go into a room with seats built into the sides of the room to gaze up into the sky above.......a quiet and meditative setting.

Barbara Hepworth's "Square with Two Circles" was placed in a prominent space at the end of one walkway ending at the reflecting pool......such a wonderful piece with a beautiful, varied patina on the bronze.

Adding to the fun of the evening was dinner and music outdoors at the Nasher's cafe. In fact the whole downtown museum area was closed off to some traffic due to a jazz concert in the park. We had to find a place and walk a way. People of all ages were bringing their blankets, lawnchairs, food and drink for the evening's entertainment. ....Just one of the perks of living in a metropolitan area.

Getting back to the condo was good for me as I was tired after all the excursions all day.....starting with the hour long walk on the Katy Trail http://www.katytraildallas.org/ right near my daughter's place. I couldn't believe we'd walked all the way to the American Airlines Center from Turtle Creek.

Back to the studio today and for the next few days to finish up with the collage I started earlier.

No comments:

Post a Comment