Working over the weekend, I put up some of the monotypes on the easel ...I think some may be finished. With that in mind, I put those away and pulled out four more that are 16 x 20" printed on full sheet copperplate paper.
After making the decision to forgo the pure monotype process, I feel better about permitting anything goes to develop them further. I will keep in mind the fact that they are oil based and use compatible materials on top.
Since I'm no longer using a plate to work on these pieces, I just decided to work directly with both oil based relief inks and oil paints. I'll extend the inks and paints with burnt plate oil to be more compatible with the paper surface.
The first two are the ones with the Spanish and French brochures and maps I chine colle to the paper when I printed them on the press. I've found it better to use brushes most of the time although I'm still using a brayer in some areas. By the time I get to the other one with the picture of Collouire rocks I'm changing up the colors and layering more....also using more of my customary marks on the pieces.
By Sunday I'm on to working on that very first piece I ran through the press......yellows with gray and black. I do like it's simplicity but I think it lacks in surface quality. Starting to mix up more pigments, I use a brayer and brushes again to add a lot more black and subdued greens into the lower section (now at least, lower) to help it contrast more with the brighter, smoother section in the top.