Monday, January 4, 2010

Studio Time


Cropped/Close up almost is a whole painting in itself, huh!

Cowboy country....that's what I get to thinking as I get to work on this painting in the studio today. I've been playing around with the encaustic again. I'll continue to play some more as I have a show of encaustic coming up at the Encaustic Center in Richardson, TX  in April.

First this is.......I ordered some nifty tools from Fine Art Store Enkaustikos quite a long time ago and just haven't used them at all yet. I got a Flow tool...kind of like a batik pen, some hot point thingies and the regulator so they don;t burn everything up. Doncha just love all my real great descriptions and names for everything. Well.........I have to do this since I can't run all the way out and upstairs just to see the names of this stuff.

 


So... I played with the Flow Pen first. Well not exactly first, I did have to put something on that board beside some wax I laid down the other day. I rummaged into some collage stuff and tore some paper up and just started putting it down with wax. I know I may not be doing all this the right way (which might be the easiest way) but I'm bumbling along doing it as I figure it will work. I saturated the paper with wax and put it on the already waxed board. Then I fired up the Flow Pen with some wonderful orange paint they sent me as a bonus when I ordered the pen and whoa........this is great! You can make all kinds of little squiggly lines and dots with this thing. Only bad thing is my cord is kinda kinked and I'm trying to figure out how to not waste paint by laying it down the wrong way.



Mentioning kinks..........there are a ton of electric cords everywhere when you work with encaustic. There must be a better way to organize all this stuff but I haven't found it yet.

So...then that all looked fun but it is not a painting to make a lot of fun stuff playing around. I finally just had to start adding some more papers and then I added paint and on and on. At one point it made me think of all the fences here at the farm and the view down to the lake.......then I saw mountains which we do not have here although we have rolling hills. Oh well......who cares as all this will get layered over several times I imagine before it it is through.

Here are the in process pictures......and one up-close that looks like a mini-painting.



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment